We are proudly committed to the highest industry standards for product purity. In addition to adhering to TruGanic™ standards, our products are manufactured in a FDA registered, inspected, and cGMP compliant, certified Oregon Tilth organic, kosher, gluten free, and certified vegan production facility. In addition, we have very strict protocols in place to minimize heavy metal content in all HealthForce Superfoods® products as follows:
- Heavy metal specifications (arsenic, lead, cadmium and mercury) are set for all raw materials and finished products to ensure that all finished products comply with the American Herbal Products Association heavy metal standards. Any raw materials and/or finished products that do not meet our specifications are rejected.
- Heavy metal specifications for ingredients and finished products are set at the lowest feasible levels, in many cases resulting in finished products well below the American Herbal Products Association standards. It is important to understand that some trace levels of heavy metals are found in nearly all dried botanicals (as well as common foods). It is well known that there are naturally-occurring heavy metals found in soils around the world, and that plants can uptake these heavy metals in small amounts in the same way they do other minerals.
- Therefore, in contrast to our TruGanic™ purity standard (which requires ZERO trace levels of pesticides, GMOs, and irradiation), our heavy metal specifications take into account the fact that trace levels of heavy metal minerals in whole dried botanical products are almost inevitable, a fact recognized by the heavy metal standards adopted by the American Herbal Products Association, one of the leading trade associations for the industry.
- Virtually no company selling whole dried botanicals can ensure ‘zero heavy metal content.’ Our heavy metal specifications ensure the lowest levels of heavy metals feasible for each of our product’s formulation. For more information on this topic from the FDA, click here.
- Ingredient heavy metal specifications are communicated to all vendors before purchasing any raw materials, and Certificates of Analyses are required before any raw materials enter the production facility.
- All new raw materials are qualified for use by testing three separate lots for heavy metals. All three lots must meet heavy metal specifications, as well as microbial and TruGanic™ specifications, in order for any/all new ingredients to be qualified.
- Once ingredients are qualified for use, we still require testing of every lot of every ingredient that enters the production facility for heavy metals. Any lot that does not meet our heavy metal specifications is rejected and returned to the supplier.
- For all finished products, ingredients are blended for a minimum of 20 minutes to ensure homogenous finished product blend. Samples are then taken from finished product blend (every product, every lot) for heavy metal testing by an independent, third-party, ISO accredited lab. Any finished product that does not meet finished product heavy metal specifications is rejected.
For information regarding California Prop 65, click here.